Autumn colors paint the horizon, the air is crisp, and it’s that special time of year to enjoy everything pumpkin. Nothing screams fall more than a fresh-from-the-oven Robinhood Meetinghouse Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll and a piping hot Pumpkin Spice Latte (aka PSL), with plenty of whip if that’s your thing.
Not only are Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls a crowd pleaser around the breakfast table, but they’re also a perfect toasty treat after playing in piles of leaves.
After you’ve been out in the cold a while raking said leaves, treat yourself to a Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll paired with a cup of the homemade version of the Starbucks PSL, created by The Kitchn. The recipe isn’t as simple as placing a coffee order, but it contains real pumpkin and we swear that it’s worth the extra effort!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
Makes 2 drinks
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more to garnish
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups whole milk
1 to 2 shots of espresso
About ¼ cup 1/4 heavy cream, whipped until firm peaks form
- Heat the pumpkin and spices: In a small saucepan over medium heat cook the pumpkin with the pumpkin pie spice and a generous helping of black pepper for 2 minutes or until it’s hot and smells cooked. Stir constantly.
- Stir in the sugar: Add the sugar and stir until the mixture looks like a bubbly thick syrup
- Warm the milk: Whish in the milk and vanilla extract. Warm gently over medium heat, watching carefully to make sure it doesn’t boil over.
- Blend the milk: Carefully process the milk mixture with a hand blender or in a traditional blender (hold the lid down tightly with a thick wad of towels!) until frothy and blended.
- Mix the drinks: Make the espresso or coffee and divide between two mugs and add the frothed milk. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, or nutmeg if desired.
- The Biscuiteers